Personal cyber security refers to an individual’s security in the cyber world. Personal protection protects a person from cyber threats.
Tips for personal cyber security
In this article, we will describe tips to improve personal cyber security. Here are they:
1. Use complex and unique passwords everywhere
The first tip for personal cyber security tips is to use complex and unique passwords for accounts. Attackers can easily crack passwords using their malicious techniques. Simple passwords are easy to break. A person must not use a name or a phrase because phrases or names are easily crackable.
- Use a complex combination of numbers, uppercase & lowercase alphabets, and symbols.
- make it at least eight characters long and shorter than 64 characters.
- Don’t use the same password for two places.
- Use a good premium password manager tool to manage your passwords.
2. Limit yourself to sharing data online
Nowadays, many online applications and companies ask for your data to provide their services. Sharing data can be a threat to you. Scammers can use that data to scam you. Or you can be a victim of identity threat.
- Don’t share your data with unknown organizations online.
- Fill in only primary options and ignore all secondary or non-required fields.
- Don’t install unknown applications on your device.
- Verify their policy before installing any application on your device.
3. Keep your software updated and install them with trusted sources
Attackers search for vulnerabilities in software applications and exploit them to attack users. And some fake apps are created by attackers and spread all over the internet, if someone installs them on their device they become victims of attackers.
- Software updates come with security patches.
- Software should be downloaded from trusted sources otherwise it can be infected software.
- Sometimes cybercriminals offer free software but most of the time they are affected by malware.
4. Use an antivirus program and firewall
According to Statista, in 2022 5.5 billion devices were affected by malware. Malware is an infamous name in the cyber world. To save yourself from malware use an antivirus program. Most cyber threat starts from infecting networks.
- An antivirus program scans your device and searches for malware and if found takes necessary steps.
- A firewall protects your network system from intruders.
- The firewall alerts you if any unknown device gets connected to your network.
To know more about anti-virus programs read this article: Antivirus: Good Sides And Bad Sides
5. Protect your sensitive data
One of the main parts of personal cyber security is to protect personal sensitive data. The attackers’ main target is your sensitive data. They can use this sensitive data to make a profit. You can follow two steps to protect your sensitive data:
- Encrypt your sensitive data using a premium encrypter tool.
- Back up your encrypted sensitive data from your computer and keep them in a cloud system or in an external hard drive.
6. Learn to detect social engineering and online scams
Only your common sense can protect you from online scams and social engineering. If you keep your knowledge updated against all the latest cyber threats and scamming methods then you can fight against social engineering and online scams. To update your knowledge read daily tech news. Participate in seminars about defending online scams and social engineering.
In conclusion, personal cyber security is important for every person who uses digital devices. Otherwise, they can put themselves in huge danger. Those above personal cyber security tips can protect themselves from cyber threats.
RedNode is dealing with cyber security with more than 10 years of experience in the field. If you need any help just contact RedNode.