Table of Contents
What is the API security testing checklist?
API Security Testing Checklist means a structured list that outlines specific steps to follow when conducting security testing on an API(Application Programming Interface). It serves as a comprehensive tool to ensure that all relevant aspects of API security are tested or tested. API security testing checklist is an important thing for the tester. It improves their efficiency and saves energy and time.
How API security testing checklist can improve your testing?
A checklist can improve your testing method in various ways. Here:
- You don’t have to rack your brains trying to figure out where to start your test or what your next step is after taking one.
- It will save you time and energy.
- Without a checklist, you can check one functionality from time to time but leave the other part untouched. But an API security checklist can give you a standard security testing method.
- Increase your skill level.
- Helps you to write a good report.
API security testing checklist:
API security testing can be very messy in the process. An API security testing checklist can help you in this situation. This checklist is based on OWASP’s top 10 API security list and is explained and minimized by RedNode. Here:
- Authorization: Object authorization vulnerabilities are widely distributed within the API. A tester’s first task is to check the object authorization system. Object authorization is an access control mechanism that verifies that a user can access only those objects that they are permitted to access. Security control must check every ID’s permission before performing requested access to objects. Failure to verify the permission of a logged-in user causes broken object authorization. If security controls fail to check that the requester has permission to access the requested object, the requester can manipulate or easily break the security controls to access the object.
- Authentication: A broken or faulty authentication system can cause unauthorized people to access sensitive resources that are not meant to be accessed by them. Authentication vulnerability is a common security issue among API systems. A good security tester must check the authentication system if it is implemented properly or not.
- Access Control: Attackers do not need to sign up to break the security of an API if access controls are broken. Broken access controls mean that attackers can access sensitive resources by manipulating security controls. As a tester, you should note it in your API security testing checklist.
- Input: Accepting malicious input can be very dangerous for APIs as it can lead to data breaches. Malicious actors can inject malicious syntax such as SQL syntax that can compromise your SQL database. Attackers can abuse the input method to harm the application. Adding input validation to the API security testing checklist is really important.
- Security Configuration: Most cyber attacks are caused by security misconfigurations. Security misconfiguration leads to various types of cyber threats. A tester must check API security configuration to ensure the security of APIs.
In conclusion, an API security testing checklist is an invaluable tool for ensuring the security and integrity of an application programming interface. A tester must follow a checklist for perfect security testing on API. By following a structured list of steps, testers can efficiently and effectively assess the security aspects of an API, thereby saving time and energy. The checklist helps testers prioritize their tasks, ensuring that all relevant areas, such as authorization, authentication, access control, input validation, and security configurations, are thoroughly examined. Ultimately, this checklist serves as a crucial resource in safeguarding APIs against vulnerabilities, protecting sensitive resources, and mitigating the risk of cyber threats. Stuck need help contact with RedNode we are always there for you.